Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
Revised Application Standards for ITINs
Effective January 1, 2013, the IRS implemented new procedures that affect the Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) application process. Some of the information below, including the documentation requirements for individuals seeking an ITIN, has been superseded by these changes. For more information please visit the IRS official site, you may call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040.
When should I apply for an ITIN?
You should complete Form W-7 as soon as you are ready to file your federal income tax return, since you need to attach the return to your application.
Where can I download the Form W-7?
Revised Form W-7 (Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)
How do I apply for an ITIN?
TaxExpress can help you to complete the appllication process at no additional cost.
Or Complete the Form W-7
. Attach a valid federal income tax return, unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original, notarized, or certified proof of identity documents. Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity documents to:
Internal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation, P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342
What documents are acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status?
IRS streamlined the number of documents the agency accepts as proof of identity and foreign status to obtain an ITIN. There are 13 acceptable documents. Each document must be current and contain an expiration date. IRS will accept documents issued within 12 months of the application if no expiration date is normally available. Documents must also show your name and photograph, and support your claim of foreign status. Below is the list of the only acceptable documents:
- Passport (stand alone document)
- National identification card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)
- U.S. driver's license
- Civil birth certificate (required for dependents under 18 years of age)
- Foreign driver's license
- U.S. state identification card
- Foreign voter's registration card
- U.S. military identification card
- Foreign military identification card
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification
- Medical records (dependents only - under 14, under 18 if a student)
- School records (dependents only - under 14, under 18 if a student)
For more information please visit the IRS official site, you may call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040.